Delta PC Mozy online, off-site backup is a secure and reliable system for backing up valuable data on your PC or file server and uploading it in to an encrypted secure area at the Mozy data centre.
The backups can be set to automatically run each night removing the need for someone in the office to start the backup running, or to remember to change a tape in the tape drive.
You are allocated a software licence (PC or Server) and hard disk space at the datacentre which is rented to you on a monthly basis.
The software has templates for many of the standard sorts of documents (eg, to backup all Word files, or Outlook email files, etc) and you can add file types, folders or entire hard disks to the scripts to maintain as full a system backup as you need.
Online Backup – Is it for you?
- Your data no longer all fits on one tape
- You often forget to change the tape
- You leave it at work
- You leave it at home
- You don’t check that your backup ran
- You don’t want to be mucking about with backups, better to let someone else have the hassle
If a few of those points apply to you, I think we can help.
We can operate an automatic nightly backup of your essential data to our data centre computer systems over your broadband connection
- The data stream is encrypted and totally secure
- You can be anywhere in the world and still gain access to your backup provided you can get on to the internet
- Your backup is there for you in case of a total disaster in your offices – Fire, Flood, Burglary, Vandalism, etc
If you work in an industry with strict regulatory compliance issues (financial services, insurance, etc) off site backup and data storage isn't a luxury, it is usually a binding requirement!
Delta PC / Mozy Off-Site Backup ensures that there is a backup copy of all your VITAL company data stored safely away from your offices so that in the event of a disaster such as an office fire, flooding, theft or vandalism your business accounts data, letters and correspondence, quotations, service contracts, etc are safe and can be recovered when you need them.
You rent the backup software licences on a “per month” basis with no long term contract required.
We can backup File Servers (including Windows servers, Exchange servers and SQL servers), individual PCs which are located in the office or at home, and laptop computers when they are connected to the internet.
The software is normally scripted to run automatically (with a manual override) and can be scheduled to run during the daytime, or at night during a quiet time.
When you decide to use our off-site data backup service we will email a licence to you and a link to the software. You are free to set it up yourself, or we can do it for you by either coming to your offices personally (if you are in the South West) or by remote connection over the internet, for a small fee.
The monthly cost is very low. A PC or laptop licence costs £3.50 per month and a server costs £5.50. You then rent backup storage space on our data centre servers for 55p per Gb. A typical PC usually only requires a few Gb of space, servers usually need a little more, but there is no limit.
- This facility is not intended to be a replacement for any backups which currently run on your file server and store data locally (or locally off-site) on tape, removable disk, etc.
- This facility is also NOT an archive. 30 days worth of backups are stored on the servers so if, for instance, you discover that a file was accidentally deleted from your server 55 days ago, it will not be on the current backups. We can offer long term, archive hard disk storage, if you require it, but our Mozy online backup service is designed to be a short term backup of all your current data files. This enables us to offer the extremely low costs that we do.
- Broadband is relatively slow at uploading data so if the first backup is fairly large, it may possibly take several days! Using the Mozy control panel it can be scheduled it to run as fast as it can during the night, but switch to a slower "trickle" speed during the day time so that it doesn't slow your server or internet access speeds down by much.
- In the event of a disaster recovery being needed for your data, it is important to recognise that although your data will immediately be available to you for restoring, you will not be able to use it all instantaneously due, once again, to broadband speeds. You would need to restore vital data (accounts, etc) as a priority to a new server or PC, to help get your business functioning again and then restore other, less urgent data after that.
- Most of our local clients broadband is supplied by Andrews and Arnold. One of the major plus factors of A&A is that upload traffic is not metered or charged for, so even if we spend a few days, or weeks, uploading dozens or even hundreds of Gb of data, it will incur no extra charges. If you are with one of the lesser, more domestic oriented broadband suppliers, it may be as well to check if there are any limits in place for uploads because a lot of the "cheap and cheerful" suppliers do meter and restrict your broadband traffic - that is one of the reasons they are cheap!
Copyright © 2005-2013 Delta PC. All Rights Reserved